Monday, October 14, 2013

Day 22: Vegan comfort food

Ok friends, so I was going to try to scrape up posts for the last two days and post three of them today now that we're home from Florida, but let's be honest... no one wants to hear me talk about eating fast-food falafel for three straight days. Am I happy that we kept that nice man's wrap business going strong over the weekend? Sure. But I'd also like to pass along the following disclaimer: eating falafel for an extended period of time will lead to excessive body-stank. I, despite being fully showered and laundered, smelled like a spice rack the whole plane ride home from Florida. Moral of the story: if you're hopping aboard a singles cruise, I suggest skipping the Falafel Diet.

Let's fast-forward to tonight. We went to Comet Cafe for the second time since the challenge started - the first was for breakfast (a 5 out of 10, I'd say, but no breakfast food aside from bacon has ever elicited more than a 6 from me). This time we went for dinner with friends. I've heard amazing things about a lot of the vegan options on the Comet menu, so I was admittedly excited. For anyone who isn't familiar, Comet's style is "slow food" and focuses on comfort food made from scratch. Naturally, we ordered three things, because gluttony is fun. Here's what I thought.

Vegan Gyro "Our homemade seitan in a warm pita, with tomato, onion, and shredded lettuce. Comes with vegan cucumber dill sauce and a side of fries." $8.50
I liked this. It was definitely filling and tasted good. The trouble was, you can't help but compare it to a real gyro which overwhelms you with seasoning and flavor. Had I somehow not thought of it as a gyro, I probably would have enjoyed it more. It just lacked the spices I was looking forward to. I wasn't a fan of the dill sauce but I never have been, and the gyro could have been dramatically improved with some kalamata olives and chopped cucumber. (And some feta cheese... - What? Who said that?) All in all, it was probably a 7 for me. Somewhere between "not half bad" and "let's throw a parade."

Vegan Meatloaf Sandwich "A thick slice of "meatloaf" with chive mashed potatoes, grilled tomato, and onion. Served open faced with salted rye bread and vegan gravy." $11.00
If you're thinking "why would you ever order vegan meatloaf?" then you've clearly never had Comet's meatloaf. It's a plate full of pure happiness. Yes, the regular meatloaf sandwich has 100% more bacon than the vegan version, but it was still worth a shot. I'm glad we rolled the dice on this one, because it was awesome. The gravy was amazing, the mashed potatoes were delicious, and the "meatloaf" was surprisingly tasty. It's like an entire Thanksgiving meal on one plate. I don't know if it was better or worse than the actual meat version, but we were big fans and would gladly order it again.

Vegan Deep Fried Ribs "Hot or BBQ vegan riblets, beer battered and fried. Served with hand-cut fries and vegan chive mayo." Full rack $11.00 - Half rack $7.00
These are so. damn. good. Our non-vegan friends raved about them and insisted we try them, and I'm so glad we did. I don't think I'd classify them as riblets - they don't really look like anything you've ever seen before and don't really taste all that rib...y - but I could have eaten heaps of them. They come with the sauce on the side (we ordered both BBQ & hot) so the riblets were super crispy and delicious, right up until I inhaled them. The plate was empty about two minutes after it arrived. I definitely suggest getting the full rack, as you still only get about 7 or 8 smaller pieces. Or... if you know you've still got a meatloaf sandwich and a gyro to eat, you could just not gorge yourself and eat in normal human portions. Your call.

Additional fun fact: Comet was offering $2 cans of beer with a free koozie (of which I'm a hoarder) and then a $1 off each subsequent beer. Life was good today, friends. Life was good.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go suffer the world's first vegan heart attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment