Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 18: The lizard edition

I can't believe we haven't even been in Florida for 24 hours yet. I'm already exhausted; we've done so much. I've been attending conference sessions, dining at the Jacksonville Landing, watching the sun set over St. John's River, baking in the sauna, roasting in the hot tub, and floating in the rooftop pool while staring at the stars. Stressful, I know.

Rather than bore you with the same old song and dance (you get it, it's hard to be vegan on vacation), I just want to call attention to my favorite part of Jacksonville... the lizards! I've learned that all my tiny little buddies are called anoles. They are brown/green, very tiny, and super fast. They're sort of like city squirrels; they sit out in the public and don't care if you see them. For some reason, all you want to do is catch one - and make it your best friend. The trouble is, they go zero to sixty in the time it takes you to blink. Also, you have no idea what you'd do if you caught one, but it's fun to pretend that he would just sit in your hand and talk to you in a British accent.

One of the things I admire most about the lizards is their penchant for pranking. If you're walking down the street, it's guaranteed that for every 10 uninterrupted steps you take, a lizard will juke you out at least three times. Their go-to moves are: blending into the curb then suddenly darting in front of you so you seemingly trip over yourself OR (this one's my favorite) hiding silently then rustling the entire bush as you pass, making you think that a pterodactyl-sized predator is waiting for you in the shrubbery. They just want to remind you that you're alive, and I appreciate that.

You guys tired of me talking about lizards yet? Ok, I'll wrap it up. But first... one more lizard thing. Here's a lizard photobomb. We had no clue at the time, we were just trying to get a good shot of the guy on the black plastic (and failed), but I almost died of joy-overload when I found his photo-crashing buddy in the background when looking at the pictures later. It's the simple things in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment