Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Black Bean & Mushroom Tacos

I've been perpetually exhausted for the past two weeks, which means both my body and brain go directly to sweatpants mode the minute I walk in the door after work. The last thing I want to do at that point is spend an hour concocting some elaborate dinner that dirties up every pan in the house. Our of sheer laziness, I started googling "easiest vegan recipes" and found a couple gems. Coincidentally, one of those recipes involved my favorite hobby: tacos. And yes, they are a hobby when you eat them as often as I do. Here's how tonight's dinner went:

Photo credit: Glow Kitchen
Black Bean & Mushroom Tacos (makes 8 tacos)
Click here for the ingredients list and recipe card

  1. Chop one small onion, 8-10 whole mushrooms, and one clove of garlic. The original recipe calls for half a jalapeno too, but I wussed out and made Scott add them on top of his own tacos later.
  2. Heat all of the above in a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.  Do so until the onions are partially clear. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
  3. Add chopped mushrooms and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Sauteed mushrooms are the best thing ever, so you'll eat half the pan before you hit the 3 minute mark. You'll also rub your eyes after chopping jalapenos and you'll wish you could pop your retinas out and dunk them in bleach.
  4. Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Stir it up, little darlin.
  5. Add one can of rinsed and drained black beans. Stir until heated through.
  6. Serve on shells with avocado, salsa, lettuce, and tomato. Feast.
I loved these. The point isn't to mimic normal tacos, but instead help you realize that you can get something just as delicious and satisfying without ground beef and cheese. Even Scott enjoyed these and he's the king of hating "imitation" foods or anything that attempts to replace something he loves. The best part is that the whole meal only took about 20 minutes total and it's basically idiot-proof, which is a major plus for a klutz like me.

Well I'm going to go shamelessly play Minion Rush on my fiance's phone until daybreak (don't judge it until you've gotten absurdly addicted to it... and yes "it" is a game intended for children and mindless adults, but still). Later gators.

No comments:

Post a Comment